At the close of the year – I take time to stop and reflect on the year gone by. I’ve found this helps me get a grip on where I’m at and understand where I hope to go in the coming year.
I do this by stopping to ask myself 10 simple questions about the previous year and I record my thoughts. Each year I read last years answers and record the current ones. Looking back – I marvel at what’s changed – which is mostly – me!
The reality is that years come and go – once they’re gone we have memories and the fruit of our labor in the Lord – they become HIS story… history.
- Some years – we find ourselves glad to see them go!
- Other years – we savor the closing – with a full and grateful heart.
- And there are those years – that are pulled from our clutches…
Regardless of what’s transpired, when I stop to reflect on the year – it gives me perspective. I can get so intense on looking ahead – even pursuing what I think the Lord has shown me – that I fail to look back. But in looking back – it prepares me to go forward – gives resolution to the past and resolve for the future. I don’t want to repeat mistakes, nor do I want to dwell on the past. That’s why I need to stop and REMEMBER.
Remembering helps me “smile at the future” because I can always see the faithfulness of God when I look back. “There (really) is no shadow of turning with Thee.”
We’re daily reminded of what’s transpired in the world around us and how society has changed over the last year, but it takes purposeful focus to notice how our own lives have changed. This takes introspection. Bad word, huh? As Moms we don’t like to do this. So, in challenge of the status quo – here’s my list of questions (your own will do just fine).
2009 – 10 simple questions
- How have I spent my time? (allocated time and spare time)
- What has been the result of the actions I have taken?
- What or who has inspired me?
- What am I grateful for?
- What personal sorrows or disappointments took place and how have I been changed by them?
- What personal breakthroughs and accomplishments transpired and how have I been changed by them?
- What books have I read this year and how have they impacted me?
- What scriptural truths have I grasped and how have they changed me?
- What areas of personal growth have I worked at and what are the results?
- What dreams or goals did the Lord give me for 2009 and how were they addressed?
Time for change!
I’ve changed out the links and buttons to the right for a new season. I’ve chosen blogs and books that inspire ideas for organization.