This soup is a long time favorite of ours. The boys like it as much as the girls. I would not have chosen this as a meal for families with young children – but a friend brought this over for dinner, years ago, and it was a HUGE hit!! Serve with salad and Italian bread and your kids will think you’re quite the gourmet cook. (your secret’s safe with me)
This soup is substantial, economic and a bit – gourmet! It serves a crowd too. In fact, I’m making it for a homeschooling event tomorrow. Thought you might enjoy it for these lovely spring days. This recipe is easy to make, requires no early prep-work, and leftover – it tastes even better. Enjoy!!
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage – crumbled and precooked
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 cups beef stock
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 large cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 10 ounce package of frozen spinach
- 1 cup tomato sauce, or pureed
- 2 zucchinis chopped, or shredded
- 16 ounces cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- Brown and drain sausage. Save 1 tablespoon of fat, add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add beef stock, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, tortellini, spinach and parsley to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until tortellini is fully cooked.
- Top each bowl with tablespoon of cheese.
- This recipe serves 12.
Let me know how you like it!