We’re Lovin’ the fact that summer is here!
This week we’re taking a break from formal school while the older ones and I prepare for a trip to Virginia Beach. Yep! We’re attending the national competition for homeschool speech and debate – an opportune time for Raising Patriots.
Once back home we’ll start our summer lovin’ regime. I read The Homeschool Post on summer schedules and thought I’d publish ours. This plan worked so well for us last year that the kids are asking for it again. Now, that’s a good sign!
Monday – recover from the weekend … clean house … yard-work … swim! Family dinner – everyone comes.
Tuesday – schoolwork! Writing, History, Science, Math … drill-work … piano … remedial work from previous year. 🙂
Wednesday – more of the same. Reading … lots of reading … aloud and alone.
Thursday – wrap-up schoolwork for the week. Put items away … make plan for next week.
Friday – garage sales … swim … play … errands … we can do whatever we want! It’s summer!
Well, there you go – pretty simple, huh? We crank down the AC and work like Trojans for 3 days in a row, then play like the rest of the world for the other 2. This plan gives us a 4 day weekend every week! This has been a winning combination for us. We play hard, work hard and still use our minds. If I could just figure out how to keep this schedule all year long …
For a glimpse at how this works out for us:
- We don’t have a pool, but several of our generous friends do. 🙂
- Life is pretty routine – we don’t travel much in the summer – hence, opportunities for learning.
- Bigger, home related, projects are saved for summer.
- I make outside appointments – hair, doctor, lunch with friends, etc … on Mondays and Fridays
- We stay home in the hottest part of the day.
- I plan dental appointments in the spring and fall so we can avoid the summer crowds.
- During the hot summer days I pull out the curriculum I didn’t get to over the year – you know, the fun stuff!
- Kids have a movie night each weekend.
- We count the weeks of summer – in order to savor them – this season goes fast!
Linking up with Works For Me Wednesday @ We are THAT Family – check it out!
This summer – try Twitter – and follow me! (It’s user friendly for busy moms)
Subscribe to Above & Beyond by e-mail or in a reader.